Followers

Monday, July 15, 2013

Faithful Agitation

I know that there are many other wonderful sites that are currently bringing light to the prayer for female ordination to the Priesthood of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  My aim here is to offer my own take on this prayer, as well as to further engage Mormons of every stripe, and allies to this cause so that there is an opportunity for this to be something we see in our lifetime, or the generation of girls coming up now.

As I see it, some of the main reasons women believe they should be ordained to the Priesthood are three-fold; 1. In this dispensation, women were ordained and that practice has been discontinued, 2. Priesthood duties are tied to administrative duties of The Church and so as long as women are denied the Priesthood we will never have a meaningful voice in leadership roles, and 3. Many wish to be able to give blessings of comfort, and joy to their friends, and loved ones in times of great distress.

Many opponents would have us believe that it is a selfish desire to seek to render service to others by wielding the power of God; this argument leaves me in a stunned silence.  How can wanting to serve and uplift others by utilizing God's power here on earth, ever be a selfish desire?  How can wanting a voice in Church government where that voice is denied to more than 50% of the Church membership be selfish?  How can agitating faithfully for the restoration of ALL things be selfish?

In coming posts I will address these issues further, but I wanted to launch this blog officially so all readers/followers can understand where I stand before choosing whether or not to add their voice to my neck of these woods.

-Duckie

No comments:

Post a Comment